Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'd require psychoanalysis.

Nothing wrong with writing the story of one’s life. Better than letting other people do it. Because they’d never get around to it. And if they did, they wouldn’t be as fair as I am. Or as insightful. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to define myself. Rather than let my parents and teachers and other people define me. Because they invariably got it wrong. And I got it right. I know me. Better than anyone else. I’m not afraid to psychoanalyze myself. Truthfully. Even brutally. My guess is that most people don’t know their real selves. They’re ignorant. Haven’t even got a clue. Of course, I could be wrong about that. But I’m not afraid to make mistakes. Better than never trying. Never daring. I have theories. All sorts of theories. Many about human relationships. I put ‘em to the test. Some I abandon. Others I hang on to. Until they prove wrong. I’m curious. Always have been. About myself. And about others. If I were designing a school curriculum, all students would be required to take psychology. Even in elementary school. And by the time they graduate from high school, they’d be required to psychoanalyze themselves. –Jim Broede

No comments: