Thursday, July 14, 2011

Living decently amidst indecency.

I’m in love with life. Right here on Mother Earth. But I’m not in love with some of the ways in which we live. Politically. Economically. Socially. I’d make lots of changes in our systems. But I’m in no position to do that. I’m not god. Or king. Or a potentate. Instead, I’m only one human being. And maybe that’s the reason I’m in love with life. I’m able to savor the fact that I’m alive and breathing and aware of my existence. Conscious. Able to think. Able to be reasonably free. I don’t have to obey all of the dictates that society tries to impose on me. I can create my own cocoon. At least to some extent. And best of all, I’m free to fall in love. And to shape my day, my moment. This very instant. For instance, I’m expressing myself. I’m creating words. Thoughts. I’m connected to the life force. I have been blessed. With life. With time. To find meaning. That’s what I have been trying to do. All of my life. Sure, I’ll never know it all. Because there are so many mysteries to unravel. But I’m able to grasp keener insight. Bit by bit. I don’t have to like everything that’s happening in the world. But I’m able to pick and choose. To find ways to live. Decently. Yes, I’m able to live decently even amidst the indecency. Truly amazing. --Jim Broede

No comments: