Friday, July 8, 2011

My sea of love.

My yard is turning into a sea of pachysandra. I’m sure that many people haven’t ever heard of it. But pachysandra is a ground cover. Grows about 6 to 8 inches tall. A lush green. With nice leaves. And a white blossom in the early spring. Pachysandra thrives in shade. But it’ll grow in the sun, too. I have many, many shade trees. The trees and bushes and pachysandra co-exist. They complement each other. And pachysandra likes Minnesota winters. Goes into a state of dormancy. Beneath a cover of snow. But comes back livelier and thicker every spring. My pachysandra started from sprigs stolen from my parents yard in southeast Wisconsin. Many years ago. Now I have far more pachysandra than grass. And it always reminds me of my parents. They loved pachysandra. So do I. I think of my pachysandra as a sea of love. –Jim Broede

No comments: