Tuesday, August 16, 2011

And to live happily ever after.

I’d rather get under other people’s skin rather than allow them to get under mine. In that endeavor, I have pretty much succeeded. I’ve developed a thick skin. Maybe thicker than an elephant’s. I don’t let other people bother me. I take umbrage with ‘em. Call them out. But I don’t get irritated. To the point of fuming. Or losing sleep. Instead, I just have my say. Like here in this blog. It’s a nice release. Keeps me content. And happy. In the process, I’m learning to treat people very much like I treat myself. Kindly. Considerately. That is, if they return the kindness and consideration. If they don’t, I’m perfectly capable of getting under their skin. Yes, I can be very annoying. Which is all right. To annoy a Republican, for instance, can be a very pleasing and gratifying experience. Downright fulfilling. At the same time, I don’t allow the Republican to get under my skin. I retain the upper hand. Maybe in that regard, I’m a little bit sadistic. I not only plunge a knife beneath the skin, I twist it. Because that’s exactly the way Republicans tend to operate. Especially those from the lunatic fringe of the GOP. I want to give them their just dues. Anyway, one must learn to deal with the realities of life. Not everyone is a nice guy. I’m nice to nice people. Very nice. But when it comes to not-so-very-nice people, I can be not-so-very-nice. I don’t always believe in turning the other cheek. Sometimes, yes. Other times, no. My conscience and basic instincts allow me to be flexible. And to live happily ever after. –Jim Broede

No comments: