Saturday, August 6, 2011

As long as I keep learning.

Think of me as a complex being. Not easy to figure out. I suspect many of us are that way. I recently encountered someone trying to find the real me. Because she thinks I’m a different being on the Alzheimer’s message boards than I am on my blog. I suppose she’s right. In the sense that I might come across differently. Depending where I post. Because the rules are different. From place to place. Much depends on my audience, too. And sometimes, I talk differently to people in private than in a public forum. Often, I tailor my words to an individual. For instance, I’ll talk intimately to my true love. But not to you. And I may confide more to a friend than to a stranger. So it all depends. On circumstances. And how I feel on a particular day or at a particular moment. Another thing. I’m evolving. I’m not the same being I was 10 years ago. Or even yesterday, for that matter. My opinions keep changing. Because I’m learning. I’m having new experiences. I have an open mind. Although that may be open to dispute. Many people judge me from a distance. On a very limited amount of information. That amuses me. But then, I do the same. I often make a preliminary assessment of someone I’ve recently met. And later on, it proves wrong. Seems to me that life is pretty much in a constant state of flux. One has to adapt and adjust. And learn from one’s mistakes. By the way, I have yet to live a mistake-free day. But that doesn’t scare me. As long as I keep learning. –Jim Broede

No comments: