Saturday, August 6, 2011

Long live everything Italian!

For a relatively old man like me, the best way to learn about and get a feel for Italy is through my true love. She’s a Sardinian. I couldn’t ask for a better teacher. She's making me well-versed in everything Italian. I am learning. Fast. Not so much the Italian language. Because that comes hard for anyone my ripe age. But I’m grasping all sorts of Italian ways. Customs. Food. Politics. Literature. Music. Fashions. You name it. I’m getting it. Because I spend much of my time living and traveling with my true love. Primarily in Sardinia, an island in the Mediterranean Sea. But I’ve been to other parts of Italy, too. To behold a beautiful country. A paradise. This is the way to live. And to learn about Italy and the Italian character. By total immersion. With a beautiful and intelligent Italian at my side. Much better than being a random tourist. Instead, I converse with my Italian true love. Daily. In the flesh. Or by audio/video hook-up. If I were still a young man, I’d most likely be gainfully employed. Side-tracked making a living. Fortunately, I’m old enough to be retired. Able to devote full-time to my true love. And I’m receiving an extraordinary education. About fantastic Italy. My second home. I’m fascinated by the wonder of it all. By my true love. By Italy. That joyful shout you hear. It's me. Long live everything Italian! –Jim Broede

No comments: