Sunday, August 7, 2011

Just depends. On the circumstances.

I marvel at people who tell me they speak the same way no matter the audience, no matter the place. Because I think that’s bullshit. Unless they are mealy-mouthed all the time. I find it necessary to be selective in one’s comments. Because I can’t get away with being completely honest all of the time. I can’t always say what I’d like to say, for instance, on the Alzheimer’s message boards. I’m not complaining about that. It’s just reality. And I accept it. Because the Alzheimer Association sets the rules. And if I wanna continue posting, I’d better follow the rules. Or I’ll get suspended or banned. It’s happened to some people. Even to me (suspension) once or twice. Deservedly so. I have a different set of rules that I follow here in my blog. I’m more free. More flexible. More honest. More daring. Thank gawd, for blogs. I’ve been taken to task by a frequent poster on the Alzheimer’s message boards. She thinks I’m pulling some of my punches on the message boards. At least compared to what I have to say in my blog. Well, she’s correct. But I see nothing wrong with that. Because I want to survive. And therefore, I obey the rules. Even rules with which I may disagree. Because I don’t wanna accept the consequences. Don’t we all do that? I’d like to speed down the highway. But I don’t. Because I don’t wanna be caught and fined and maybe even be put in jail. Instead, I use common sense. Or maybe it’s that I decide to compromise. For the sake of getting along. For the sake of decency. Oh, I’m not afraid to break rules, too. I take risks. I often like to tell people the brutal truth. Even when it hurts. Generally, that’s when I’m talking to someone. Directly. One-on-one. In private. But I can do it publicly, too. Just depends. On the circumstances. –Jim Broede

No comments: