Thursday, August 18, 2011

I am a man of moderation.

A friend tells me that I’m overdoing it. Bicycling too much. Because some nights I get muscle spasms in my thighs. But I think muscle spasms are good. Shows that I’m pushing myself to limits. Testing my limits. To me, that’s the proper way to exercise. No pain, no gain. I don’t look at muscle spasms as true pain. But as an indication that I’m not a sissy. That I’m able to endure. And do a little bit extra. To toughen up. Even when I sit down to write, I like to spend extra time. Or even meet a magical quota. To do a little more than I intended. But still, I think of myself as a man of moderation. Even though I’ve put on almost 5,000 miles on my bicycle since April 1. Yes, I’m averaging better than 1,000 miles a month. I’m doing it consistently. I could easily be doing 2,000 miles a month. Proving that I am a man of moderation. –Jim Broede

No comments: