Thursday, August 18, 2011

To break the ice.

When I go walking, I try to make eye contact. With everyone coming toward me. And I find that some people simply refuse to make eye contact. Maybe because they’re shy. But I suspect it’s more than that. Instead, they think it’s best to remain aloof. To not make contact. Especially with strangers. But in some cases, I’m not a stranger. I might have passed the persons multiple times. And always, they avoid eye contact. Even people who live nearby. They may not be my next door neighbor. But they have to be aware that I’m not a total stranger. That I live in the vicinity. I suppose I should force eye contact. By stopping ‘em. And actually talking. Being sociable. Eventually, I do that. I force the issue. And I’d like to ask ‘em, ‘Why have you repeatedly avoided eye contact?’ But I don’t. Because maybe that would be too invasive. Used to be that maybe I was the one that avoided eye contact. In my younger days. Because I wasn’t curious enough. About people. About strangers. Now I like to cultivate strangers. No matter where I go. Especially when I visit foreign lands. Even if I don’t speak the native tongue. I at least try to make eye contact. And make a perfunctory greeting. Guess I think it’s the nice thing to do. To break the ice. –Jim Broede

No comments: