Saturday, August 27, 2011

A musing on unconditional love.

I'm capable of loving another being unconditionally. Or so I'd like to think. But I can't love my country unconditionally. And why is that? I suspect it's a matter of desire. I have no desire to pledge unequivocal love/loyalty to my country. Because that would be stupid. A country is a political entity. And political creations can and do evolve into something totally alien. A detestable body politic. Such as a Nazi Germany. Or an ungawdly conservative Republican America. But can't the same apply to an individual human being? Such as Hitler. But I detect a difference between a genuine human soul and an artificially created body politic. Maybe because I'm a romantic idealist. And because I come to my conclusions on a theoretical basis. With a biased romantic perspective. Which means that I've never been put to a true test. And maybe never will. I have never been in love with America. Or with any country. But I have been in love. With other souls. At least two. And maybe I have been in love with several animal souls, too. Living beings. As to whether any of this love was unconditional is debatable, of course. Maybe it all comes down to innate desire. I'm speculating that I was created with a potential to love unconditionally. Someone. Another soul. But not something. America, for instance. --Jim Broede

No comments: