Friday, August 12, 2011

On being humble and decent.

Maybe I’m just as arrogant and wrongheaded as a Republican. That’s a horrid thought. Which means that I’d have to start looking at myself with disdain. In order to be fair. Anyway, it’s a possibility. I may be just as extreme as the lunatic fringe Republicans. Only in a different direction. I veer to the left. The conservatives veer to the right. Politically speaking. Of course, I know some Republicans. Including my daughter and my son-in-law and my sister. And I think of ‘em as decent people. Therefore, I could easily conclude that many, many Republicans are decent. Despite their political views. But I don’t always portray them that way. I poke fun. I ridicule. I’m sarcastic. Sometimes, downright nasty. I try to justify my action by saying that I’m merely acting like Republicans. Giving ‘em tastes of their own medicine. Fighting fire with fire. Playing politics. To borrow a cliché or two. Maybe the annoying thing about life is that I’m not any better than anyone else. I’m just as arrogant and wrongheaded. Maybe even more so than most blokes. Just depends. On how I evaluate/analyze the situation. I know one thing though. That I feel best when I accept another human being just as she is. Unconditionally. Seems to me that’s true love. And the closest I ever come to being humble and decent. –Jim Broede

No comments: