Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Outlandish and impossible.

I suppose if I were a politician, I’d be ruthless. Because that’s the way the game is played. The ruthless ones succeed. The others fall by the wayside. That’s the way I see it. And I spent much of my lifetime covering politics. Writing about it. For newspapers. Oh, I know there are exceptions to the rules. Even in politics. But it’s mostly the ruthless and the unprincipled that get their way. They know how to maneuver. To manipulate. If I sound cynical about politics, that’s because I am. It’s a dirty power game. Corrupt. Influenced by big money. And it’s played by people with big egos. They love the feel of power. And power usually comes with money. Nobody should be surprised that roughly half of our Congress and Senate are millionaires. Those who aren’t are certainly influenced by big money interests. And many of the non-millionaires will become millionaires eventually. Because of their political connections. I’d like to see politics played in a different way. To make politics more honest. More decent. So that the common good is served. Rather than the big-money interests. But it won’t happen. Because the powerbrokers would rather die than surrender their power. They live for power. For politics. I’d rather see citizens drafted at random to take turns as our senators and representatives. Seems to me they’d do a better job of it than our elected officials. They’d be more representative of the true nature of the American people. Just another one of my dreams. Outlandish and impossible. –Jim Broede

No comments: