Saturday, September 10, 2011

About not being too serious.

One has to learn to be serious about not being too serious. Especially about one's work. Whether it be as a writer. Or a teacher. Whatever it is that one does for a living. When one becomes too serious, one doesn't have fun any more. One becomes too driven. Keeps his nose to the grindstone. Ceases to relax. In other words, makes drudgery of work. Instead of pleasure. If one ceases thinking of one's job as pleasure, it's time to find other employment. Or to retire. A teacher has to love teaching. And a writer has to love writing. Otherwise, such pursuits are a waste of time. Even when I was an Alzheimer care-giver, it was essential that I find pleasure in the pursuit. And I did as time went on. I looked forward to it. Daily. It was fulfilling. Rewarding. It was fun. Some people find that hard to believe. But I was testing good vibes therapy. And having fun doing it. Because it was getting the results that I wanted. For me, it was innovative. I was discovering a new way to deal with Alzheimer's. And to feel pleasure. And I was smiling. Feeling good about myself. And about my environs. And about Jeanne. All was not lost. We were salvaging something from life. Even in the worst of times. So much of life is not as bad as it might seem. Yes, I recommend being serious about not being too serious. --Jim Broede

No comments: