Thursday, September 1, 2011

Despite it all, I'm happy.

I have moments of unhappiness. When I think of politics. And the hateful nature of politics. Especially American-style politics. Although the political game can be depressing all over the world. But I'm closest to American politics. Because I live in America. Most of the time. But less and less as I get older. Because I have the opportunity to travel. And to live in Italy. Where politics also can be very rancorous. Corrupt. Mean-spirited. Again, that's just the way it is. And I more or less have to accept life as it is. And I've learned to do that. With only momentary unhappiness. Because I remind myself that unhappiness is funny. And I start laughing. And that makes me happy again. Maybe politics is the worst game ever invented by human beings. And that's ironic. Because politics tend to be cruel and inhumane. It's the darker side of human nature. And often leads to skirmishes. And war. Nothing much worse than war. Because it results in needless death. And in the end, makes us less than human. But still, despite it all, I'm happy. Because I'm able to recognize the plight of the human condition. And still fall in love. With life. --Jim Broede

No comments: