Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Making a living -- a fun part of life.

I know so very many people who don't like their jobs. Which I find strange. Because I've never disliked so-called work. From my very first job. When I was 12. I delivered a daily newspaper. Still remember it vividly. Got paid $3.65 a week. And by the time I was a teen-ager, I was working after school. At an office supply store. Stocking shelves. Unpacking deliveries. Clerking. Making 50 cents an hour. When I went to college, I worked at the school. Refinishing furniture. During summer breaks, I found employment as a ditch-digger, reinforcing a railroad bridge across the Fraser River at the Continental Divide in the Colorado Rockies and making automobile tires at a factory in Denver. Then I went into the U.S. Army, where I spent most of my army career as a sportswriter for the 3rd Armored Division weekly newspaper in Frankfurt, Germany. And after the army, I wrote for newspapers. In Florida, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I retired in 1998. But I kept writing. Whatever I feel like writing. Such as this blog. Anyway, I've loved every job I've ever held. Even the ditch-digging. Because the setting was idyllic. I could have made my living doing almost anything. I would have found a way to savor any and everything. Because I made it fun. More so than actual work. Making a living is a part of life. And I'm in love. With life. --Jim Broede

No comments: