Monday, September 26, 2011

An effort to end their boredom.

I'm not boring. In the sense that I don't bore myself. I may bore others. But I always find something interesting to do. Or to think. To imagine. I'm able to entertain myself. Even when I'm alone. Yes, I'm able to live with myself. That's a nice trait. I know people that dislike themselves. Even to the point of hate. Of course, that probably means they aren't bored. But I like myself. I have no desire to be someone else. And generally, I'm not bored with other people. Even with people that might be categorized as boring. That's precisely what makes them interesting. Because it gives me opportunities to psychoanalyze boring people. That keeps my mind occupied. In novel ways. I can't remember the last time I was bored with life. Which means that maybe I was never bored. But still, I think I was. Long ago. But I've forgotten it, I suppose, because I was bored. That makes it forgettable. Maybe my memory is best when I'm not bored. Maybe dementia/Alzheimer's is a form of boredom. But when I was an Alzheimer care-giver, I was never bored. It aroused me. To think. A whole lot. About the disease. And how to be a better care-giver. I discovered things. Such as good vibes therapy. Which amounts to exuding happiness in the presence of patients. Always. Never letting up. Never being negative. The results were fantastically successful. Not only for the patient. But for me. When I encounter people who profess to be bored, I chide them. Even try to irritate 'em. That's a good deed. An effort to end their boredom. --Jim Broede

No comments: