Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I love to break rules.

I am lazy in some regards. I hesitate doing some difficult things. Mentally. And physically. I've always been that way. As a youngster. As an adult. Young and old. Maybe I can argue that I'm not turned on. But if I'm honest about it, I am lazy. I don't feel like putting forth the effort. In English class, I hated memorizing poems. It was difficult enough reading a poem. But memorizing it was a gawd-awful task. Yes, a real task. Latin, too. That was a grind. Maybe because there was a great deal of memorization to it. Learning English was different. It never seemed like a memorization thing. It came naturally. Because I never thought of it as a task. I learned it because I had to communicate. As a two-year-old or a 76-year-old. And I learned English gradually. And I'm still learning it. Learning Italian is more of a task. And I have to fight/overcome my laziness. I would love to speak/communicate Italian as well as I do English. But I know that's impossible. And that's discouraging. I think I learned writing the same way I learned English. Gradually. Naturally. Even when writing is difficult/challenging, I try to make it easy. Enjoyable. By writing the way I want to write. Gives me a sense of freedom. I don't hesitate to break rules. Oh, I love to break rules. Not only when I'm writing. But when I am living, period. --Jim Broede

No comments: