Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm learning graceful acceptance.

I keep learning that I have no control over the outcome of baseball games or American political decisions. Doesn't make any difference whether I am alive or dead. The outcomes will be the same. I have absolutely no control over the Chicago Cubs or over who's gonna be the next president. So there's no reason for me to even try to influence the outcomes. Or to anguish. Better that I just lean back and accept whatever happens. What will be, will be. It's almost as if I didn't exist. I can hope for this or that outcome. But hoping won't make one iota of difference. Therefore, I should not waste my time wishing for an outcome. And praying to a supreme power. I just have to learn acceptance. And try to handle outcomes gracefully. --Jim Broede

No comments: