Thursday, September 29, 2011

Making the best of life.

I'm never fully prepared, fully ready to leave Minnesota for Sardinia. Gotta pack. Knowing that I'm gonna forget stuff. That's the problem. I have too much stuff. And I don't know what to take. And what to leave behind. But gradually, I'm getting so that some day I won't have to pack. I'll have enough stuff in both places. In Minnesota. In Sardinia. And all I'll have to do is board a plane with virtually no baggage. Probably could do that now. If I had the inclination. Maybe the time after this, I'll try it. Just take what I'm wearing. And maybe a book. Or a newspaper. And my passport. Anyway, I'm taking off Saturday afternoon. Flying to Chicago. Then to Paris. Gotta change airports in Paris. To a small town 55 miles north of Paris. Then I fly directly to Cagliari, the capital city of Sardinia. Sunday night I'll be in Sardinia. With my true love. Until mid-February. Coming back in time to mosey down to Arizona. To take spring training with the Chicago Cubs. And by Easter (in April) going back in Sardinia for a while. Before I settle down in Minnesota again. For the summer. I'm on the go. Living in a way that I once thought I'd never be living. One day at a time. Savoring life. The way it should be savored. Which means that I'll also sit down and write. And complain. About aspects of life that annoy me. Such as politics. Especially in America. But in Italy, too. In fact, in the entire world. To put it less than politely, many, many politicians are assholes. They ignore the common good. And cater to the big-money interests. That's just the way it is. And I more or less accept it. Because I have better things to do. Such as walking along the many Mediterranean beaches in Sardinia. And living with my true love. Yes, making the best of life. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Christa said...

Have a safe trip, Jim! Enjoy your winter stay in Sardinia.