Sunday, September 4, 2011

The making of a free spirit.

I like to think of myself as a free spirit. But I'm not sure how free. Freedom is a relative thing. No doubt, there are spirits more free than mine. But I'm reaching for more freedom all the time. By soaring. To new heights. Beyond planet Earth. Where I discover other spirits. They are my teachers. My mentors. Often, my comrades. I learn from so many other spirits. My true love in Sardinia is a free spirit. In some ways, she's more free than I. And in other ways, I'm more free than she. Together, we make each other more free. It's a nice relationship. My true love makes me a more daring spirit. More willing to gamble. To take chances. To explore the unknown. Without trepidation or fear. I'm attracted to free spirits. Naturally. My Jeanne was a free spirit. She died in 2007. I miss her physical presence. But her spirit still lives. I'm thinking that may be the nicest thing about the spirit. It lives forever. Maybe that's what makes a spirit so free. --Jim Broede

No comments: