Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Because I'm curious.

Seems to me that Americans are more likely than Europeans to greet strangers. If I'm walking casually down a street or on a path in the woods or along a seashore in America, and a stranger comes toward me, I'm likely to voice a greeting, a hello, a wave of a hand. I'll make eye contact and give some sense of recognition. But it's different in Europe, including Italy, where I'm now living. Often, we don't even make eye contact. Let alone exchange nominal greetings. That's sad. But then, maybe it's that in America, I initiate contact with strangers. Because it's the nice thing to do. But maybe, if I wasn't the initiator, we'd ignore each other. I tend to act boldly. Because I feel comfortable doing it in my native country. I know the language. That helps. In Italy, I have difficulty even making small talk. Wish that weren't so. Because then I would become big and bold. I'd foist contact on strangers. Because I like to get to know people. Even strangers. And maybe especially strangers. Because I'm curious. --Jim Broede

No comments: