Friday, October 28, 2011

Life ain't over 'til it's over.

I'm looking at life as being never over until it's over. Sure, I'm retired. I'm 76. My dear wife Jeanne died of Alzheimer's almost 5 years ago. After 38 years of marriage. Maybe it's time for me to mark time. But I can't do that. Because there's still a lot of living left. Even if it's only a day or two. But I'm hoping it's still many, many years. And the idea is to live. To the fullest. That's why I'm living at the moment with my Italian true love. In Sardinia. An island in the Mediterranean Sea. Every year that I live seems to be better than the last one. That's the way I want it. An adventure. Doing things that I never dreamed of before. Or doing the things that I dreamed of but never accomplished. After retirement 13 years ago, I thought it was time to slow down. Funny thing. By starting to live more in slow motion, I actually speeded up the gratification quotient. Because as I slowed, I was able to savor more. Savor the moment. The day. I learned not to get ahead of myself. To never be in a hurry. To take my good-natured time. Find new and profound ways to enjoy life. To be a romantic idealist. A free thinker in the spiritual realm. A political liberal. A lover, particularly of life. And I write abundantly. About anything. Whatever moves me. Invigorates me. Inspires me. Taking life at a more leisurely pace. I'm cramming more and more into my life. But I'm no longer overwhelmed. I'm relaxed. Energetic. I can do a whole lot and never become tired. Makes me wonder if one's life really begins in the 60s and 70s. Maybe even in the 80s and 90s. Especially if one can retain good health. Because by then one has learned how to live. Effectively. Passionately. Maybe that's the great shame in life. That one eventually runs out of time. It all ends some day. But until then, it's important to recognize that life ain't over 'til it's over. --Jim Broede

No comments: