Saturday, October 22, 2011

My love extends to wildflowers.

Oh, so many wildflowers in Sardinia. I won't ever learn the names of 'em all. But I'm browsing through google. And asking Sardinians to identify 'em. But even Sardinians are stumped. So many wildflowers that they can't all be mastered. Other than by the experts. And with some wildflowers, I give 'em my own fancy names. There's something that looks like a rich man's dandelion. Looks more like a miniature yellow lily. And it grows on 3- to 5-foot tall bushes. Blooming now. Vast waves of 'em in fields. Where I see some sheep grazing. I broke off a sprig the other day. And showed it to my Italian/Sardinian true love. And she's baffled. Doesn't know the name. Which is surprising. Because she knows just about everything. Sort of like me. But she knows more than me. For which I am grateful. To have her as a font of information. Anyway, I'm in love. With her. With Sardinia. With life. With wildflowers. --Jim Broede

No comments: