Saturday, October 22, 2011

Putting off death and taxes.

There's no sales tax in Italy. Or so I'm told. Maybe it's hidden. But the fact is that the state doesn't require an added-on tax. No matter what one buys. I'm also told that many Italians evade taxes. Income taxes. That there's a lot of unreported income. I suspect that the cost of living is cheaper in Italy than in the USA. And it helps that there's universal health care. Although one might have to wait a while to get it. Back home in America, I have Medicare and a supplemental health insurance policy. That pretty much covers everything but my dental bills. For dental, I pay out of pocket. Everything. Not a penny of insurance coverage. So if I have a toothache while living in Sardinia, I'll go to an Italian dentist. And expect to pay far less than I'd fork out to my dentist in Minnesota. American medical bills are the highest in the world. But America is far from the top in health care outcomes/statistics. I probably have a better chance for a long life in Sardinia. Yes, it's a place where I can put off death and taxes. --Jim Broede

No comments: