Sunday, November 27, 2011

Another stellar night in Paradise.

I thought momentarily last night that America was coming to Sardinia. A black soul gospel choir was gonna sing at the Teatro Centrale in Carbonia. And my true love and I were in attendance. I was looking to see some really black souls. Well, I saw lots of jumping and jiving. But not a black face in the choir. Instead, they were all white Italians. From a Catholic parish in Cagliari, the capital city of Sardinia. But they sounded like black souls. I've read criticism on Google that these Italians have audacity for calling themselves a black soul gospel choir. When they're really white souls. But hey, I don't know what all the fuss is about. They're entertaining. They're good. And there's nothing wrong with a white soul trying to catch the feel of a black soul. Blacks have given us wonderful music. Especially when it comes to gospel/church music. It has a vitality and rambuctious passion lacking in many subdued white churches. I'm normally a subdued white. And I'm not much for the Christian church. But hey, I was in a foot-stomping Jesus mood when the black soul gospel choir got a hold of my soul. I could have listened to the choir all night. But the second half of the program was devoted to classical band music. By a band of young Italians called the Banda Musicale Vincenzo Bellini. Good music, too. But it was more like white soul music. A nice contrast. Give me black and white on the same program. I like 'em both. Another stellar night in Paradise. --Jim Broede

No comments: