Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Depending on one's point of view.

I may be living in the billboard capital of the world. There are many of 'em. In Carbonia, a city of about 30,000 inhabitants. On the beautiful island of Sardinia in the Mediterranean Sea. Where I am living at the moment. Maybe I'm imagining all this. But I see billboards almost every place I go. Along roadsides. In empty lots. On the exterior walls of a big soccer stadium. Carbonia even has billboards on wheels. Billboards trucked around from hour to hour. To wherever the traffic is heaviest at the moment. Ihe billboard companies must be making money. I don't like all the billboards. Not the nicest of scenery. But I suppose billboards sell products. Plenty of posters, too. Plastered on walls. Advertising everything from concerts to political rallies. Some posters remain up way past their prime. A huge calender of events at an amphitheatre near the main piazza. Dating back to the 2009-2010 season. Makes me wonder if there's a 2011-2012 season. And where there's no billboards or posters, graffiti abounds. Some of it nice. But some also ugly and obscene -- depending on one's point of view. --Jim Broede

No comments: