Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm only dealing with today.

I try to adjust to any and every eventuality. Good and bad. Of course, it's the bad stuff that's most difficult. And nobody escapes life without bad stuff happening. One has to learn to deal with it. And eventaully we have to deal with our own demise. I don't even use the word death. Demise sounds better. Fortunately, I've been able to live a long life (76, and counting) . And I see no immediate cause for concern. I feel like I'm in good health. Always have. I've lost loved ones. And I've had disappointing setbacks. But nothing that ever stopped me from the pursuit of happiness. More or less one day at a time. Especially as I become older. Maybe if there have been any surprises in my life, it's the number of people I see that are downright unhappy. Unable to adjust to the eventualities of life. They just can't get the happiness quotient right. They're never satisfied. They want more and more and more. Instead of fully embracing what they already have. They may even complain that they are too tired to enjoy life. Or too depressed. Or too whatever. And I keep telling 'em to find ways to adjust. To live happily. If not forever --then at least for a few minutes today. Taste and feel happiness. If only for a moment. That'll be a catalyst for adding still another moment. And another and another. One might even build an endless chain of happiness. Oh, I'm a Pollyanna, I know. But that's the only way I can survive. And still be happy. It serves me well. Maybe not forever. But I'm only dealing with today. --Jim Broede

No comments: