Friday, November 25, 2011

I'm willing to take the risk.

I really don't care that much about my image. Even if it's a mistaken and derogatory image. Because I more or less know what and whom I am. And others can think whatever they want to. Good or bad. I won't lose any sleep over it. Fact of the matter is that many of us have a false sense of image. About ourselves. And about others. That's just the way it is. I marvel at people who worry about their image. They want to be perceived in certain ways. Even though it may be a false image. When I meet Italians for the first time, and we don't speak the same language, it's difficult. But I manage with my very limited knowledge of Italian. And I try to initially create an image of someone with a sense of humor. And it may misfire. For instance, I'll tell them in my limited Italian that I don't speak much Italian. And that I am an American. And that I'm stupid. And lazy. But that I'm happy. Especially since I have an Italian true love. Some Italians may not see the humor in my approach. And take me for being stupid and lazy. A regular dunderhead. But I don't mind. My true love thinks it's foolish of me. That I may end up with a less than flattering initial impression/image. But my attitude is, sobeit. I'm willing to take the risk. On chance that I'm perceived as a funny guy. --Jim Broede

No comments: