Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My opinion: Thinking is good.

I like to cultivate opinions. About virtually any and everything. Even ill-informed opinions. Because that usually puts me on the path to well-informed opinions. I listen to people. I like 'em to correct my way of thinking. To put my thinking to a test. I don't mind being wrong. Or even becoming a fool. I'm willing to take a chance. A risk. In order to accumulate knowledge. That means I'm gonna appear to be stupid sometimes. But, so what? Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. I like to be provocative. And one way of accomplsihing that goal is to have opinions. That usually draws a reaction. And often, I like to take a contrary position, just for the sake of being contrary. Because that furthers the discussion. I find that arriving at a position on an issue takes some degree of thinking. And thinking is good. Or so I think. But then, maybe thinking is bad. And that might be a good starting point. To ignite another thought. That maybe it'd be best if we all stopped thinking so much. Because it does more harm than good. But I'm a positive thinker. And so I'm gonna declare myself in favor of the premise that thinking is inherently/innately good. --Jim Broede

No comments: