Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A very special city.

I'm gonna spend five days in Rome with my Italian true love. My first real stay in Rome. I've been in no hurry to go there. Because I prefer the off-the-beaten-track places in Italy. Where tourists seldom go. Undiscovered paradises. But I suspect that Rome, too, has hidden paradises. The adventure begins Nov. 30 and runs through Dec. 4. My true love is going to Rome primarily to take written tests that may qualify her to teach English at the university level and at Italian schools in foreign countries. I'm sure she's got what it takes. It's more a matter of jumping through the hoops. To make it all possible. Anyway, maybe I'm obligated to see the Coliseum and the Vatican and other traditional places on most tourists' intinerary. But I'll be more interested in riding the metro (the underground) and observing Italians. And reminding myself that I'm in Rome. A very special city. --Jim Broede

No comments: