Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ain't old if I've got forever.

I like being 76. Had better. Might as well make the most of it. When younger, I didn't think much about becoming an old coot. Seemed remote. Far off. It was a horrible thought. To be avoided. Old meant decrepit, wrinkled, grouchy. Now fully arrived, I'm athletic, svelte, wise, happy. A marvel. Don't think of myself as old. Unless I'm reminded. By others. Or by being observant. Noticing I'm the oldest guy in the room. What I like most about getting older is my vocabulary. It's much bigger. More words. More meanings. Makes me more expressive. Literacy takes time. To build. I'm fortunate. Still building. Expanding my knowledge. I don't envy being young. Because it's too stifling. I was born a slow learner. Very slow. Of course, thought I knew more than I really knew. Fooled myself. Maybe still do. But that's all right. I like to be fooled. To be a dreamer. Fool myself into thinking that all dreams come true. Such as living forever. At the very least in a spiritual dimension. If that's true, I ain't old. I've got forever. --Jim Broede

No comments: