Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Another world. Another dimension.

I floated out of the concert. Out of body. Fully spirit. And I thought, 'I've finally experienced music the way it's supposed to be experienced. Thank gawd.' But really, my thanks went to Roberto Cappello, pianist. He mesmerized me in Sant' Agnese of Agone Church. On Piazza Navona in Rome. Playing a scintillating blend of Liszt and Schubert. Like I've never heard it played before. Non-stop. For an hour. No interruption from applause. Because that would have been a sacrilege. It all seemed like one piece. Come together. The usually flamboyant Liszt was tamed. The usually melancholic Schubert was made happy. Like the two composers were in Paradise. Together. Enjoying life as spirits. And I was with them. Floating. Floating. Floating. The church setting was magnificent. Out of the Baroque. Bas reliefs. Dim lights. But it was the music that absorbed me. Made me oblivious of the earthly surroundings. Because I was spirit. In another world. Another dimension. --Jim Broede

No comments: