Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More guilty or less guilty.

She's a beggar. Withered and old. Sprawled on the cobblestone walkway leading to the Vatican in Rome. She has a misshaped leg. And a tin cup. Asking for alms. So she can last another day. That's the most memorable and vivid picture riveted in my mind on my visit to the Vatican and St. Peter's Square last Sunday. Yes, that beggar. Even more so than the elegantly robed pope giving a benediction from the balcony of his lavish residence. I thought about the contrast. Between the rich and the poor. The squalor just outside the church. The pope living in grandiose and crowd-adoring style. Only a few hundred yards from a miserable beggar. That's the world in which we live. I don't particularly like it. But that's the way it is. And I hurry past the beggar. In an attempt to wipe the image from my mind. But I can't. The beggars will always be with us. And what's even worse, I feel helpless. Unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Except maybe write about it. Reflect. Lament. Which is a rather cheap way of salving my conscience. Acting like a pope. I wonder if that'll make me feel more guilty or less guilty. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

just exhibit Love said...

Hi Jim

I never pass someone in need..for me I always give them a dollar..to help them..survive..If they beg..I give..

one time my son gave his lunch to someone standing on the street corner with a sign..that read I am hungry..he was a teenager back then..

this person sat the bag lunch down on the ground and did not eat it..my son saw it there about an hour later..

so was he hungry? maybe yes maybe no..but my son did the right thing..he gave of himself..because he could..help..someone asking for it..compassion..and Love conquers all..

take care my friend..Love Rosie

Anonymous said...

just another 6th district bachmann, you dont even know her name.whats her story.quite possibly more interesting than heartless republican dribble you've just spilled. please don't waste your talent,get the story (not yours)