Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The art of playing games.

If I believe what I read, I'm gonna have to play games if I wanna get ahead in Italy. In business and advancement, from the obtaining of the smallest of favors, still largely depends on who you know, rather than what you do or are. Introductions are crucial. Promotion in most private companies hinges more on family connections than on merit. The business environment is essentially clannish and Masonic. That's the conclusion of Charles Richards, a Brit and author of the book, 'The New Italians.' Of course, I'm in a good position. I don't have to play games. Because I'm retired. And I don't have to get a job and make a living any more. But it'd be awfuly frustrating if I had to. My Italian true love does have to make a living. Teaching school. And to improve her condition, it's gonna take more than merit. She has to play games. Maybe that's the most frustrating part of her job. She ain't a game-player. She'd like life based solely on merit. But I really suspect game-playing is part of the routine all over. To varying degrees. We all are forced to play games. If we want something badly enough. --Jim Broede

No comments: