Wednesday, December 28, 2011

We're shopping for a suitable cap.

Don't quite understand why I'm not supposed to wear a headband in Sardinia. Guess it doesn't look right. Because Sardos don't wear headbands. When really they should. So I'm trying to start a fashion trend. By wearing a headband over the protests of my Italian true love. Guess she thinks it's gauche. In poor taste. Sardos, however, wear knit caps. Or stocking caps. Which cover the tops of their heads. Squashing down the hair. That is, if they have hair. Even my true love wears a black knit cap. Covering her normally fluffy, buoyant, beautiful hair. Indeed, a shame. She'd look much better with a colorful headband. But she doesn't think so. That gauche thing again. I have a vast collection of headbands at home. Maybe 100, or more. I wear them with the first approaching of cool weather. And so do many other Minnesotans. But here in Sardinia, I've spotted only two or three headbands. On joggers. To absorb the sweat, I suppose. Rather than keep the forehead and ears warm. Anyway, I've reached a compromise with my true love. I wear the headband outdoors only. Especially when I have a cold. To protect my sinuses. And I remove the headband immediately upon coming indoors. And we're shopping for a cap. With a Sardo style to it. --Jim Broede

No comments: