Friday, December 30, 2011

I find the necessary words.

Yes, ladies, every problem can be fixed. That's what I have been telling some ladies on the Alzheimer's message boards. Even problems connected with personal relationships. And it doesn't necessarily have to be fixed by mechanical handymen, as some of these ladies imply. Significant numbers of men are not mechanically-inclined. Some are poets. And romantic idealists. Generally, problem-fixing takes two-way communication. Meaningful dialogue. Both partners have to pitch in. And learn to speak a common language. The ladies suggest that men generally think that everything can be fixed. And maybe women don't. I'm a man. And I'm a fixer. Not when something mechanical goes awry. Such as the engine on the car. Or with an appliance in the house. I'm no good at that stuff. But I know how to get it fixed. I hire a mechanic. A handyman. I get it fixed. By hiring someone. Yes, I use common sense. If there's a problem between my true love and I, I'm able to find a fix. On my own. Without hiring anyone. I'm good at it. I start a meaningful dialogue. I find the necessary words. --Jim Broede

No comments: