Thursday, December 8, 2011

I like the music on the Metro.

I descended into the bowels of Mother Earth. Down. Down. Down. Seemed like an endless long flight of escalator stairs. Four flights in all, I think. I was about to experience a ride on the Metro. The much-heralded subway of Rome. Indeed, it was impressive. And remarkably clean. And musical, too. On the trains, I encountered violinists. They played lively and romantic tunes/melodies. And strolled with paper cups. To collect money. Of which I gladly gave. It's a nice way to make a living. Especially if one is trying to work one's way through music school. But some of the violinists were maybe trying to supplement their retirement incomes. Musicians abound all over Rome. Not only on subways. But on the streets. In the parks. Around the fountains. Playing violins and accordians and saxaphones. If one is to travel in Rome, it's best to take the Metro. Much better than driving a car. Because there seem to be no set rules of the road. Other than it's every driver for himself. Everybody in a hurry. Pedestrians cross the streets at their own peril. The subway trains are relatively quiet. And one doesn't have to worry about doing the driving. One may have to stand during the rush hour. But most times, I could find a seat. Especially if I boarded the lead car. At the far end of the platform. The Metro has multiple lines that criss-cross. And one can move efficiently underground. Of course, there's not much architactural scenery to see. Other than murals on the walls. But I enjoy looking at passengers. Wondering if all of these people are Italians. And I imagine they look pretty much the same. As the passengers I'd see on the subways in New York or Chicago. Except for the musicians. There are more of 'em in Rome. Yes, best of all. I like the music on the Metro. --Jim Broede

No comments: