Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wherever my spirit takes me.

Normally, I'm not much of a church-goer. Especially when it comes to Sunday service. But there's a time for everything. And when my Italian true love and I are tired of walking in Rome, we often enter a grandiose Catholic church. So many of 'em in Rome. Almost in every block, it seems. Many of the churches are big edifices. Even cathedrals. And basilicas. I found them to be mostly quiet places. With ample seating. A wonderful place to rest the sole's of one's feet. Our souls, too. The churches are beautiful. Man-made architectural beauty. Which isn't the same as the natural creations of Mother Nature. But still an acceptable alternative. Especially when one needs respite from the crowded and noisey streets of Rome. I could easily spend a full day in Rome wandering from one church to another. And enjoy every minute of it. Of course, I'd prefer wandering through a primeval forest or on a winding mountain path or on a Mediterranean seashore. But in Rome, I'll take what I can get. Yes, when in Rome, I do much the same as the Romans. And find my way into the peace and tranquility of a church. Doesn't mean that I'm a Christian. Instead, I'm a mere free-thinker. And my church happens to be wherever my spirit and my feet take me. --Jim Broede

No comments: