Saturday, December 24, 2011

I'm curious about Schulz.

My German cousin Fritz knows how to make a pleasant evening for me. He invites me to dinner. At his shooting club. And then sits me across from Gerald Schulz. A German who speaks English. Helps me become educated. About German ways. I mesh well with Schulz. Or should I say Gerald? But I like the German name Schulz. Though the ones I know in America spell their name mostly Schultz. Maybe the 't' makes it sound more Germanic to an American. Though Gerald Schulz is mild-mannered and soft-spoken. And an intelligent fellow. And an unusual shooter. Doesn't let a handicap bother him. Really, it isn't a handicap. He's lost three fingers on his right hand. All but the thumb and forefinger. I always look for something different about people. And that's different. Schulz lost the fingers in a factory accident. About 20 years ago. After he took up shooting. Normally, he's right-handed. So he has switched to his lefthand when handling a pistol. But he's good at skeet shooting, too. And that requires both hands. And he's still got his trigger finger on the right hand. Which is more than good enough. Schulz also signs his checks with right hand. Holding the pen between thumb and fore-finger. Anyway, I found all this fascinating. But even more fascinating, I think Schulz is a decent human being. Philosophically, speaking. A guy I'd like to know better. He's in business. Exactly what kind, I'm not sure. Other than it's international. Goes to show that I don't know everything about Schulz. But I intend to learn more. Maybe some day when he's in the U.S. His company has offices somewhere near the Kentucky-Tennessee border. And in other spots around the world. So he does some traveling. Maybe to Minnesota some day. Where I'd greet him and show him around. I might even take him to a shooting club. To see how he does it. But mostly, I'd like to talk to Schulz. About lots of topics. Philosophy, and all. Like I say, he's a smart fellow. And a good conversationalist. I also suspect he's leading a very meaningful life. I'd like to know more about it. --Jim Broede

No comments: