Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm hearing funny voices.

Unlike we Americans, Italians watch foreign films with no subtitles. Instead, dubbed in Italian. That's a hangover from Mussolini's days. He was big on nationalism. Young Italians are becoming more at ease with English. But educators claim the dubbing has retarded a more generalized fluency in foreign language. Not only English, but French, German and Spanish. When I travel in Germany and France, I have no difficulty getting by with my English. But it's much harder in Italy. Though by no means impossible. Especially in Rome. I'm getting used to listening to American and British actors with dubbed in voices. Not sounding anywhere near to their real voices. It's very funny. Turns serious dialogue into comedy. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Mark O'Neill said...

The Republic of Korea had a similar approach with some films. The funniest thing I ever saw was The Duke, John Wayne, delivering his lines from "True Grit," in Korean.