Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The most difficult thing to obtain.

For the first time, I was approached by a panhandler in Italy. On the street where I live. In the city of Carbonia in Sardinia. Not the usual panhandler that I find on the streets in America. I really shouldn't call her a panhandler. Because that's a negative term. Invented in America, I suppose. For people who are destitute and in need of money. Often just to buy food. They're flat out broke. And jobless. And have no place to go for help. Except out on the streets. I'd hate to be in such a situation. I want society to care for others in need. For the panhandlers. Including the one I met the other day. I gave her the coins in my pocket. When really I should have given her folding money. And a sense of love and caring. Wish I could have taken her by the hand. To a social services agency. The lady looked old and withered. With a face wrinkled before its time. In need of health care, clean clothes, and a visit to the dentist. She had lost most of her teeth. Her biggest need, I suppose, is tender loving care. Maybe that's the most difficult thing to come by in our world. --Jim Broede

No comments: