Saturday, December 31, 2011

I want to savor every bit of Italy.

On a side street, near where I live in the city of Carbonia in Sardinia, there are two nice residential homes. Consisting mostly of glass. They are beautiful homes. With a view. Out of massive windows. But the view -- well, it could be better. Across the street, there's a wall. Filled with graffiti. And there's not much landscaping. Some litter, too. I would have picked a better location. Maybe on the outskirts of the city. Or well out in the country. But I suspect many Italians living in cities build for indoor comfort. Not for the scenery. The balconies on buildings are seldom occupied. Even where I live. We have balconies looking east out of the kitchen and west out of the living room. But we don't sit out there. Instead, we hang out clothes to dry. Or put out potted plants. There's no furniture. Only a washing machine. But I'm thinking about setting a new standard. Taking to the balconies. With chairs. And maybe a small table. Where I can read a book. Drink cappucino in the morning. And watch the sunset in the evening. I want to savor every bit of Italy. --Jim Broede

No comments: