Saturday, December 31, 2011

That life goes on and on and on.

Marred my day for a while. Made me feel sad. I spied the cat. Dark gray. Seemed to be resting. Lying on its side. In the gutter. Eyes open. In an expressive, relaxed way. But that cat was dead. Must have been hit by a car. No readily apparent physical injury. Except a small trickle of blood from the mouth. Probably from an internal injury. The kind of death I don't like to see. Wishing it never happened. Surprised there aren't many more dead animals along the Italian roadsides. Because of the madcap way Italians drive. But still, here in Carbonia in Sardinia, I see many drivers brake for animals. Stop. Give the animals the right of way. But stray dogs and cats. They are numerous. On my walks. I see them. Broken and battered and crushed. This one was still intact. Looked alive. On a later round, the corpse was on the curb. Out of the gutter. Some one must have lifted the cat. Checked to see if maybe it was still alive. I briefly mourned. Grieved. But got over it. Assuming that the cat was still alive. In spirit. In another dimension. That every life goes on and on and on. --Jim Broede

No comments: