Monday, January 23, 2012

Ah, such sweet slumber.

I suspect many of us are sleep-deprived without consciously knowing it. So many people tell me they are tired. And I ask them, are you getting enough sleep? Often turns out that they have cheated themselves. They sleep for only a few hours a night. Never take naps. They've gotten by with maybe only 5 or 6 hours of sleep each night. When they really need 8 hours. Maybe even 10. The simple cure, of course, is to get more rest. More sleep. I love the feeling of going to sleep. And waking up. Well-rested. I know people who think bedtime is a set hour. And even if they are dog-tired, they stay up 'til midnight. Stupid, isn't it? Why not listen to one's body?Sure, I go through periods when I stay up for a long, long time. Because I'm enjoying myself. Savoring life. But eventually, it catches up to me. I need my sleep. My rest. And I get it. Peacefully. Contentedly. Ah, such sweet slumber. --Jim Broede

No comments: