Sunday, January 15, 2012

Forever, plus a day or two.

When I write this blog, I write what's meaningful for me. If it's meaningful to other people, that's a bonus. But not a necessity. I'm doing this to satisfy myself. Not necessarily to please other people. In fact, I don't mind if I piss 'em off. But don't get me wrong. I like to cultivate other people. Relationships. But I don't wanna sell my soul in the process. Before I retired, when I was writing for newspapers, I had to cater to some extent to other people. To editors. To subscribers. To readers. Couldn't always do exactly as I pleased. Maybe I still can't. In some ways. But I certainly feel more free than I used to. In this blog, for instance. I don't submit what I write to anyone. Maybe other than to god himself. Or a divine spirit. And I don't know for certain if either one exists. I merely know what I wanna believe. That's good enough for me. For now. Guess I believe some things. Without proof. Without a convincing, sensible, logical argument. In that sense, I'm stubborn. Bull-headed. I have to believe something. Even when I'm a doubting Jim. I'm feeling my way through life. And I hope it lasts long enough for me to come to some bona fide conclusions. About what it's all abouit. More and more, I'm thinking that's gonna take forever. Plus a day or two more than that. --Jim Broede

No comments: