Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'm also a world traveler.

In two weeks, I'm returning to America/Minnesota after an absence of over four months. And I have mixed feelings about it. I'm leaving my Italian true love behind. Temporarily, of course. And we'll still be connected. Daily. By Skype, the audio/video hook-up. And by email. And telephone. And other modern technical conveniences. Almost like living together. Like we've done this winter. In wonderful Sardinia. And it helps knowing that the plan is for my true love to come stay with me in Minnesota this summer. Then it'll be my turn again. To fly to Sardinia. This autumn. For maybe an even longer stay than I had this time. So, in that respect, all is well. Life is good. And we'll continue savoring it all. One day at a time. But still, it'd be nice to be physically together. Every day. But I don't covet having more. Because in a sense, I have everything that makes me happy. Making the best of what I have. Instead of wishing for more and more and more. Maybe that's the bugaboo of modern times. People always wishing for more. Never satisfied. Never fully happy. Maybe that makes for greed. The curse of the capitalist system and way of life. Millionaires with the compulsion to become billionaires. And now, even an occasional billionaire wishing to be a trillionaire. It never ends. Makes me suspect that some of us want far too much. I'm willing to settle for today. And tomorrow. And next week. And next month. And next year. But most important of all is today. I'm still in Sardinia. With my true love. And I'm taking advantage of the opportunity. To be what I am. A romantic idealist. A spiritually free-thinker. A political liberal. A lover. A dreamer. Come to think of it. Maybe I'm more than all that. Could easily add to this list, world traveler. --Jim Broede

No comments: