Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Dutch dentist in Italy.

I have found a Dutch dentist. In of all places, Italy. Right here in the city of Carbonia. In Sardinia. His name is Rien Uitenbosch. Which certainly sounds Dutch. And he speaks perfect English. Italian, too. And Dutch. And maybe more. I didn't ask. Yet. But I will. Because he's become my dentist when I'm in Sardinia. Normally, I try to avoid dentists. But one can't always do that. And still save one's teeth. The other night, I chipped a little piece off a porcelien crown. Thought it might be serious enough to require a new crown. Which can be very expensive. But Rien tells me he can do a patch job. In essence. a repair with a traditional filling. And it'll cost me only 150 euros. Meantime, I've discovered someone I can easily converse with. Because we both speak English. And many Italians don't. Rien is very engaging. His wife, Monique, also is Dutch. And a dentist, too. She's my Italian true love's dentist. And my true love took me by the hand to Rien and Monique's dental clinic. Up a stairways of three or four flights. Turns out that Rien just had a cancellation, and could see me almost right away. And he sized up the situation with precision. Felt confident that I had found a good dentist. Rien said it's almost impossible for a dentist to get established in the Netherlands unless he has lots and lots of money. So that many Dutch after graduating from dental school, go abroad. Mostly to Germany. And to Italy. Rien and Monique came to Italy without speaking Italian. But they quickly learned. And I'm happy that they came. Never dreamed that I'd have a Dutch dentist in Italy. Speaking English. But then, I never dreamed that I'd be living with my true love in Sardnia. Makes me think that the world is a wonderful place. To discover each other. --Jim Broede

No comments: