Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An image full of tomfoolery.

I don't wanna create an image. A particular personal image. Because it's probably not me. I'm capable of changing. From day to day. I doubt that any one image would fit me. I get a kick out of people who try to create an image. Of themselves. Usually, it's a fake image. A facade. They want a nice image. When really, they often aren't very nice. I've met and been close to people who have wanted to shape my image. My mother, for instance. And some teachers. And friends and acquaintances. All sorts of people. Wanted a hand in creating my image. That's rather presumptuous, isn't it? My mother always wanted me to wear clean clothes. And clean underwear, too. Just in case I'm in an accident and hospitaliized. She wanted me clean. Funny, isn't it? I don't mind going out in a dirty coat. Especially, if I've been working on a dirty job. I'm likely to get dirty. Nothing wrong with that. When I go out gardening, I don't always wear gloves. Because I like the feel of dirt on my hands. Often, if I come in with dirty hands, I feel I've had a good day. And I like to misbehave, too. To be the cut-up in my grade school class. And to hell with the image. And I like to portray myself as perfect. When I'm anything but. It's all tomfoolery. That's the nature of life. Come to think of it, maybe that's the image I'm creating. An image full of tomfoolery. --Jim Broede

No comments: