Monday, January 30, 2012

No need for a gruff voice.

I can be gruff. Mighty gruff. Interesting word, isn't it? Means to speak in a low and unfriendly voice. But I don't necessarily mean to be unfriendly when I'm gruff. Could be that I'm merely making a point. Acting a role. There's a time for gruffness. Maybe just to let people know that I'm annoyed. Better than outrightly proclaiming, 'I'm annoyed.' Instead, I say it with my tone of voice. It's more effective that way. I can even convey my annoyance silently. With a look. Yes, so many ways to speak. Without uttering a word. Sometimes, all it takes is complete silence. One thing I've learned is to communicate. One way or another. Even with Alzheimer patients. I can read their minds. And I look for ways for them to read my mind. Sometimes, all it takes is a touch. Or a vibration. Yes, a good vibe. Certainly, no need for a gruff voice. --Jim Broede

No comments: