Sunday, February 5, 2012

I'll let the hurriers wait.

As usual, I was in no hurry today. But I felt hurried. Twice. Which is twice too often. Because I don't like to be hurried. And I'm a little bit annoyed at myself. For allowing myself to be hurried. I've resolved not to let it happen next time. Which might well be later today. People around me often are in a hurry. And so they want me to be in a hurry, too. Enough is enough. I'm going slow. Whether people like it or not. My Italian true love and I were at a beach early this afternoon. A somewhat nippy day. Cool in the shade. And a little windy. But I found a grassy knoll. In the sun and protected from the wind. I lapsed into a pleasant, idyllic mood. Sun-bathing. I could have stayed there for an hour. Maybe two. But my true love wanted to hurry on. To whatever it was we were supposed to do next. I was in no hurry to leave. I really wanted to savor the moment. But I gave in. And hurried on. Like a good, obedient boy. Later in the afternoon we were at a restaurant. Dining. And it was getting to be closing time. My true love noticed that the waitress was giving us the eagle eye. A message, I guess, that we were supposed to hurry rather than dilly-dally. So my true love encouraged me to eat faster. I did speed up a little bit. Though that's against my nature. Next time, I'll follow nature. And maybe even eat slower. To spite everyone. But mostly to satisfy myself. I'll set my own pace. And let the hurriers wait. They need to slow down. Rather than expect me to speed up. --Jim Broede

No comments: